Leadership Institute: Community of Leaders
Are you ready to lead the future of infectious diseases? The Community of Leaders training program equips mid and senior-career professionals with the skills and community needed to accelerate their careers and amplify change initiatives. This is an intensive activity for infectious diseases specialists across the healthcare team. The program differentiates itself from peers in this space via:
- A curriculum designed by and for the infectious diseases and HIV specialist
- A strong commitment to leveraging elements of a cohort model of learning that improve learning outcomes and build meaningful professional connections
- An accessible entry point for specialists from a diverse range of practice settings
The IDSA Leadership Institute: Community of Leaders program is a hybrid-format leadership development program focusing on mid and senior-career infectious diseases specialists across the health care team. The course begins in February 2023, when attendees gain access to the IDSA Academy learning management system. From February to May, attendees complete a series of short, asynchronous webinars, readings, and discussion board prompts. The course concludes with an in-person capstone intensive in Arlington, VA, from Monday, May 8, 2023, to Tuesday, May 9, 2023.
- Asynchynchronous Online Learning: February to May 2023; approximately 6 to 8 hours (total time; learner dependent)
- In-Person Intensive: Monday, May 8, 2023, and Tuesday, May 9, 2023; approximately 16 hours (total time)
Attendees should plan on arriving at the venue no later than 8:00 a.m. on Monday, May 8, and departing no earlier than 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 9. Attendees are required to attend the in-person intensive to participate.
Virtual Contingency: If IDSA cannot host the event in person due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the capstone will be held online on the same schedule and dates.
Attendees will explore three core themes throughout the course and answer essential leadership questions.
- What kind of leader do you think you are?
- What kind of leader are you?
- What kind of leader do you want to be?
- How do others experience your leadership?
- What do you need to become the leader you want to be?
- What does your team need from you?
- What do you want to change about your working world?
- How do you execute a big idea?
- How do you plan for operational and organizational success?
Webinar & Workshop Topics
To provide the most relevant and up-to-date training possible, our faculty and facilitators will continue to review and develop content through April 2023. The following topics were covered in the 2022 Community of Leaders program. Additional topics may be added before the program launch.
- Welcome to the Community of Leaders
- Navigating the Learning Management System
- Course Overview
- Goal Setting & Action Planning
- The Leadership Practices Inventory 360+ Overview
- Antimicrobial Stewardship Partnership
- The Art of Time Management
- What Type of Leader Are You?
- Orientation: Action Plan
Unit 1: Philosophy of Leadership
- Emotional Intelligence
- Leaders as Coaches
- Joy in Work
- Philosophy of Leadership In-Person Workshop
- Philosophy of Leadership: Action Plan
Unit 2: Leadership Behaviors
- Managing Teams
- How to Make Meetings Less Awful
- Mindful Listening & Communication
- Managing Outlier Prescribers
- Leadership Behaviors: Leadership Practices Inventory 360+* Review Workshop
- Leadership Behaviors: Action Plan
Unit 3: Change Management
- Managing Change: A Balancing Act
- Strategic Planning I
- Strategic Planning II
- Pitching to the C-Suite
- Antimicrobial Stewardship Culture Change
- Change Management: In-Person Workshop
- Change Management: Action Plan
- What is Philanthropitch?
- Stages of Group Development
Leadership Practices Inventory 360 Degree Assessment
Community of Leaders sessions are marked by deep reflection and an investigation of your leadership journey to date. All attendees will participate in a high-quality, valid, and reliable 360 assessment using today's premiere tool, the Leadership Practices Inventory 360+®. The assessment is included in the program fee and is required for participation.
Continuing Education Credit
CME, CPE, CNE and MOC credit will be available for the asynchronous and in-person portions of the Community of Leaders program.
Note: IDSA is unable to offer pediatric MOC credit for this program.
All Community of Leaders candidates must meet the following criteria at the time of application:
- Active IDSA membership
- Engaged in clinical practice of infectious diseases, clinical or basic research, administration, teaching in infectious diseases, public health, or a related field as a primary professional activity
- History of substantive service to the profession locally, regionally, or nationally
- Minimum of five years relevant professional experience
- Evidence of deep intellectual curiosity and growth mindset
It is essential that our learning community represents the full diversity of the IDSA membership. We strongly encourage women and individuals underrepresented in medicine to apply.
Who Should Apply?
The 2023 IDSA Community of Leaders is intended for mid-career and senior-career infectious diseases and HIV specialists across the health care team ascending into leadership roles within the near term or seeking to address areas of need in an existing leadership role. Unlike other physician-leader training programs, the Community of Leaders is designed by infectious diseases and HIV specialists for infectious diseases and HIV specialists.
IDSA seeks to create a personally, professionally, and academically diverse cohort each year and, as such, cannot provide an ideal candidate profile. All interested individuals should review the Eligibility Criteria and Program Description sections to see if the program is the right fit for their training needs.
IDSA is seeking to build a community of rising and established leaders. Community of Leaders participants will gain access to the exclusive and persistent Leadership Institute Alumni Community. Individuals seeking to participate in a persistent learning community and professional network are strongly encouraged to apply.
Is there a program fee?
Yes. The program fee for 2023 is $4,995.00. The program fee includes:
- CME & MOC credit
- Capstone and webinar course access
- Required reading materials
- The Leadership Practices Inventory 360+®
- Most meals*
- (optional) Arrival reception on Sunday, May 7, 2023
- Breakfast: Monday, May 8, and Tuesday, May, 9
- Lunch: Monday, May 8, and Tuesday, May, 9
- Dinner: Monday, May 8, and Tuesday, May, 9